Enchanting little minds with
In 2019, MITRA (Malaysian Indian Transformation Unit) had supported Pertubuhan Magik Matematik to conduct ‘Program Kepintaran Magik Matematik 2019’ for 300 selected beneficiaries from 6 Tamil primary schools in Klang Valley. A total of 300 beneficiaries ranging from 11 to 12 years old from ‘B40’ families and low-performers (Grade ‘C’, ‘D’ and ‘E’) in Mathematics attended the programme from July 2019 to December 2019.The beneficiaries are mainly residing in low-cost flats under the People’s Housing Projects (PPR) around Klang Valley. A total of 50 participants from each school attended 8 sessions from 2 pm – 6 pm. They were provided of lunch and tea-break during the training sessions.
- 65.6% of the participants achieved an ‘A’ grade on Ujian Kilat Penambahan(post-test) while 34.4% scored grade ‘B’ and ‘C’.
- 63% of the participants achieved an ‘A’ grade on Ujian Kilat Penolakan(post-test) while 37% scored grade ‘B’ and ‘C’.
- 50.8% of the participants achieved an ‘A’ grade on Ujian Kilat Pendaraban(post-test) while 49.2% scored grade ‘B’ and ‘C’.
- 43.27% of the participants achieved an ‘A’ grade on Ujian Kilat Pembahagian(post-test) while 56.73% scored grade ‘B’ and ‘C’.
- 69.9% of the participants achieved an ‘A’ grade on Magic Maths Olympiad, 8.5% scored grade ‘B’ and 21.6 % scored grade ‘C’.
- 78.4% participants have developed their skills in quick calculation and mental arithmetic.
The programme outcome – Year – End Mathematics Examination as per below: –
80% of participants scored Grade ‘A’ and ‘B’ from Grade ‘C’ in Year – End Mathematics Examination.
76% of participants scored Grade ‘B’ and ‘C’ from Grade ‘D’ in Year – End Mathematics Examination
85% of participants passed Mathematics from failed in the Year–End Mathematics Examination
Not only did the students do well in mathematics but the passion and interest they showed while learning the Magic Mathematics formulas were proven by the high attendance of around 98% to 100%. Unique methods of teaching such as Diagnostic Exam, Arithmetic Quizzes and Olympiad Test were able to change their perspectives on mathematics which helped open their minds to it.
The participants also applied the methods and techniques learned from ‘Program Kepintaran Magik Matematik 2019’ for school. A change in the students was also noticed by their teachers. Feedback from the teachers stated that students who participated tend to be more focused and show more interest when learning mathematics.
Parents were amazed by the transformation shown by their children who participated. One of the parents expressed their happiness when their child who disliked mathematics is now willingly studying mathematics on their own. Due to the students doing well in mathematics, their confidence levels increased. This chain reaction further impressed the parents who were involved.
In addition to that, parents and teachers realized that techniques and methods taught from the program could also be applied when answering the UPSR exam especially for paper 1 because of how quick they can solve the questions while paper 2 can be used as means to double check their answers.